The first building existed already about 1000 and was situated on the highest point of the mount. Benedictines of the mighty abbey Farfa (near Rome) erected the small monastery San Leonardo which was later incorporated in the church of St. Nicholas, elevated Collegiate Church at the latest in 1507. The construction of the new collegiate church began 1808 and ended in 1831 directed by the architect Pietro Maggi. Significant the altar of St. Cirinus, martyr decapitated in 303 A.D. during the rule of Diodeziano and buried in the catacombs in via Aurelia. His mortal remains arrived at Monteprandone at 1656. In 1873 Cirinus, protector of the farmers, was elevated to second patron of Monteprandone.
Altri monumenti a Monteprandone