Comunanza, the ancient Comunantia Montis Passilli , has developed in the middle of a pleasant valley crossed by the river Aso and the shores of an artificial lake named Gerosa. Located 448 meter above sea level, the town is surrounded by wooded hills, dotted with numerous villages perfectly integrated in the environment. From any corner one can enjoy a wonderful view of the Abruzzo mountains and the Sibillini. The ancient settlement is dominated by the Gerosa’s dam and follows the watercourse. It looks like a choreographic script: high buildings alternate with sheer walls as if it to point out to the river Aso, which has just got out of the oppressive grip of the mountains, the shortest way to the sea. The name Comunanza appears for the first time in 1324 in a document which refers to it as “Communantia Montis Passilli Civis Districtualis Esculi”. On Mount Pasillo, to the north of Comunanza stood the fortress of the Lords of Monte Passillo who were later called Nobili. The area still marks the boundary between Ascoli and Fermo and was the scene of ongoing battles that ended only in 1310 when, after having destroyed the castle of Monte Pasillo, Ascoli’s governor decided to expand the town in the bend of the Aso. Comunanza was subjected to Ascoli until the Napoleonic period in the 16th century. The wooded hills of the territory were safe shelter for robbers who fought against the Roman government with local poor people. The old town can be reached crossing a bridge; the houses overlooking the river and the ancient walls show evidence of fortifications. Beyond the bridge, the Church of St. Catherine of Alexandria built in 1831, designed by Pietro Maggi preserves a true treasure: a baroque organ with two keyboards, unique of its kind. In the old town worth visiting are St. Francis Church (13th century), St. Anna (1672) with an important organ by G. and A. Santilli. In the village of Interamnia one can visit the Church of St. Maria a Terme in Romanesque style, the Museum of Sacred Art and the Public Library in the ancient Palazzo Pascali. There also is the Church of St. Sebastiano di Piane with frescoes related to the Crivelli school, St. Maria di Polverina with a fresco by G. Vergari (16th century) and the Church of St. Agata Valentina with an altar datated 18th century.